Friday, August 15, 2008

Making Low Key Birthdays Special


Yesterday was my wife’s birthday and while we decided to keep things a little more low key this year, I still wanted her to have a nice birthday. So here are some things that I did to make her low key birthday special.

First of all, I got our daughters involved. With younger kids this can make parent’s birthdays special. I took the girls to pick out some nail polish and they were so excited about that. They each picked out a decorative bag to put their treasures in. They also helped pick out some treats and a birthday card. I asked them what they wanted to say and wrote it down for them because neither one is really able to really write yet. If given the chance, kids often say cute things anyways.

I gave her a gift certificate to be redeemed for something that I know she wants. While I don’t mind getting gift certificates or money as gifts, I don’t usually like giving them because they often seem impersonal to me and I like to give gifts. It is rewarding when you pick a gift for someone and they really like it. I looked through a few sites to find one that had templates for gift certificates that I could customize and I ended up using gift-certificate-templates.com and tweaked it to my liking. While the one that I settled on was designed to be used by a company, I made our family a company and put a family picture in for the logo. The template that I used was a Word document so it was easy enough to work with.

A couple of weeks ago when my father was here, we checked out a newly renovated local swimming pool. The pool is really nice as it has a whirlpool, one that starts inside but allows you to go outside, a couple of saltwater pools, a few saunas, a real nice little kids pool, and so on. My wife really enjoyed one of the saltwater pools where you could lay in the water with your ears below the surface and enjoy relaxing music. The time that we went there weren’t too many people there (it almost felt like we had the place to ourselves). We’re going to be going again as part of my wife’s birthday.

I remember how my mother loved to go to Hallmark stores to buy greeting cards. She always found wonderful cards for all occasions (especially birthdays). Here in Germany there are some preprinted cards available but there isn’t much of a selection and they usually consist of a blank inside where you can write your own greeting. I went online and found a simple birthday card template and customized it. I wrote my own entry for the inside and on the back I inserted a few pictures of the girls from the past year and of our dog.

Also last month while my father was here, one of our friends that was training to be a masseuse and gave everyone wonderful massages. I remember how much my wife enjoyed this so I’m going to let her select a massage as part of her birthday celebration.

So with a little thought you can make a low key birthday special. Do you have any tips for making birthdays special? If you have any other comments, I’d love to hear them. If you liked this article, please consider subscribing to the blog via RSS or email, share it on del.icio.us or on Digg and pass it on to anyone that you think might appreciate it. Thank you. :)

On Deck…

I’ll be publishing posts about…

  • The next in my series of weight loss strategies
  • My next Spotlight on the web.
  • The next of my dating and relationship tips
  • More on productivity, web 2.0, social networking, family, parenting, health, and other things that you can use.

Other Post That You Might Also Like to Read…

Blogged with the Flock Browser
blog comments powered by Disqus