Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

My mother with me as a baby

Happy Mother’s Day, everyone! I’m sure that the greeting card companies and florists would love to hear me say this but I think that every day should be Mother’s Day. All of our mothers have done so much for us over the years, much of which we don’t give much thought to or have thanked them enough for!

Even those people that didn’t have the world’s greatest mom, have a least some praise and thanks that they could give to their moms. For the rest of us, we owe the world to our moms. Being a father now, I can now see things from a whole different perspective than I did as a kid and can have that much more appreciation for what my mom did by watching what my wife does now. I’d like to add that I believe my wife is doing a wonderful job, even though it might not always come across and I certainly can’t give her enough praise and respect for what she has done and is doing!

Mom with her father and sister at my sister Nicole's wedding

My mother lost a battle with cancer on September 11, 2001. I owe the world to my mom and would like to acknowledge some of her accomplishments as well as describing her nature.

  • She and my dad raised the three of us.
  • She had at least one dog at all times of her life, at one time we had as many as six, with most of them being big dogs. I have to admit that we lived on some property at that point so it wasn’t like we were keeping 6 dogs in the city.
  • She fed the birds, squirrels, and chipmunks on a regular basis. At one point there were over two hundred Goldfinches on our porch, unfortunately, we didn’t capture this moment. We once took a trip to the Pointe Pelee National Park of Canada to see some of migratory birds that could only be seen in the Southern most point of Canada.
  • She always seems to have some kind of rescue project going on. She nursed all kinds of injured birds that hit our sliding glass door leading to our porch. These rescue attempts included a baby chipmunk and baby skunk.
  • She loved babies and kids. Whenever we went anywhere that there was a baby, you could almost always bet that she would hold that baby, if we were there long enough.
  • She worked to receive an RN (Registered Nurse) and BSN (Batchelor of Science in Nursing). She started her pre-requisite classes for nursing school at the same time that I started going to college. She showed determination in getting degrees at a point in her life when many people are only studying the newspaper. She was proof that an education is possible at any age.
  • She was a neo natal intensive care unit nurse. She loved taking care of all the prematurely born babies. In her hospital, she took care of a lot of crack babies and babies born with all kinds of other additions, in addition to those babies that were just born prematurely, so she did see a lot of babies that didn’t make it as well as those that were starting life with some cards stacked against them.
  • She loved to read. She seemed to always have a new book.
  • She loved and adored her grandparents. She used to tell us stories about visiting her grandparents and working in their restaurant. I believe that I developed a love and respect for my grandparents from her.
  • When her mother developed cancer, she went down to Dallas to help take care of her. She worked in the same hospital that grandma was being treated in.
  • Because grandpa was a traveling salesman, she moved a lot as a kid. She lived in Kansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, California, Texas, and Michigan is a result of grandpa being moved around.

Mom with Heather, Caitlin, and Jacob

Of course my mother did some of the other normal motherly things. She nursed the three of us when we were sick or injured. She was there to listen to our problems and give her advice. She was the glue that held the family together. I know that I owe so much of who I am today to her, it is hard to imagine how different I would be if she hadn’t been there for us.

So on this Mother’s Day, I’ll take a few moments and honor the memory of my mother. I hope that you’ll let you mom know that you love her and that you appreciate all those motherly things that she has done for you in your life. Is there something special about your mom that you’d like to share? I’d love to hear you story along with any other comments that you might have. If you liked this article, please consider subscribing to the blog via RSS or email, share it on del.icio.us or on Digg and pass it on to anyone that you think might appreciate it. Thank you. :)

On Deck…

I’ll be publishing posts about…

  • The next in my series of weight loss strategies
  • My next Spotlight on the web.
  • More on productivity, web 2.0, social networking, family, parenting, health, and other things that you can use.

Other Post That You Might Also Like to Read…

blog comments powered by Disqus