Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Find Your Re-boot, Comments, and Thank You

"MY OLD MAC" courtesy of creactions


As I posted earlier, the blog was down for several days last week and with some help I was finally able to get it back up on Sunday, like many things in life there were some lessons to be learned in my difficulty.


Before I go on however, I would also like to thank Rose DesRochers. She is one of the volunteers that patrol Google Groups in an effort to help us poor lost souls that are in dire need of help (or maybe just want to vent). She aided in repair efforts and I neglected to mention her in my previous post about being back up again. She is a writer and a very busy women. If you click on here name you'll go to the about page at one of the blogs she does. So once again, thank you Rose!

One last point before I move on to my lessons learned (although this is certainly a lesson to be learned as well). The people that write and publish blogs like to see your comments, good and bad. While there are some blogs out there with so many regular reader that there always seems to be an avalanche of comments, those of us that are trying to connect with more regular readers would appreciate comments. If you like something, please say so. If you have something to add, why not do just that. If you disagree, please tell the writer why, without being nasty or referring to the writer's parentage or lack of intelligence. You might very well have information that wasn't known to the writer or that might help other readers. Leaving comments lets the writers know that somebody has read what they've written and that is a most appreciated.

So what is my lesson out of my experience, you ask? Going back ten or so years at the IT company I work at, I remember when I called the help desk, they would almost always tell you to re-boot. While it was annoying when the help desk people would tell you to re-boot or ask you if you had already done it, it was a basic thing that often worked. In life we're often in situations where we need to find our re-boot, it might be some mechanical or procedural thing, but it is often handy to find out what your re-boot is and try that first. In my most recent case, I had to take some code out and re-insert it. So the next time you're faced with a problem you might ask yourself, "did I re-boot?" or "what is the re-boot here?". Do you have any ideas about finding you re-boot?
If you liked this article, please share it on del.icio.us or on Digg and pass it on to anyone that you think might appreciate it .Thank you. :)

blog comments powered by Disqus